We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more
- Due to the way the Spotify system currently works, It’s impossible to directly change your username.
- A way to get around this annoying issue is to link your Spotify account to Facebook, which you can do from the social section of your settings page.
- Connecting your account to Facebook will replace your current Spotify username with your Facebook name.
Changing your username on Spotify is impossible. However, you can change it (sort of) — by using a simple trick.
When you first sign up for Spotify, you are given the option to either use your email address or your Facebook account. If you choose to sign up with your email, Spotify will automatically generate some random numbers and letters as your username, which many users find very annoying. If you sign up through Facebook, however, Spotify will use your Facebook name as your username.
If you already have a Spotify account, the simple trick is to connect your Spotify account to Facebook. Spotify doesn’t allow manual editing of username but using this workaround will replace your Spotify username with your Facebook profile name. And whenever you make changes to your Facebook name, your Spotify name will update to reflect those changes.
Check out these Spotify accessories:
- Sonos One (Gen 2), From $199 at Amazon
- Amazon Echo (3rd Gen), From $99.99 at Amazon
- Amazon Echo Input, From $35 at Amazon
- COWIN E7 PRO (Noise-canceling Bluetooth wireless headphones), From $79.99 at Amazon
- Sony WH1000XM3 (Noise-canceling Bluetooth wireless headphones), From $348 at Amazon
- Anker Soundcore 2 (Portable Bluetooth speaker), From $39.99 at Amazon
- Status Audio IEM-2X (in-ear monitor audiophile), From $49 at Amazon
- Syncwire 3.5mm nylon braided cable, From $6.99 at Amazon
How to change Spotify username on a computer
Here’s how to change your Spotify username by linking your account to Facebook on a computer:
- Open the Spotify app on your PC or Mac
- Click the downward V shape arrow on the right to your profile picture and name in the upper-right of your screen.
- Select Settings from the dropdown menu that appears.
- On the settings page, scroll down to the Social section and click the blue Connect to Facebook button.
- This will open a pop-up for you to enter your Facebook account login details such as email and password.
- Click the Log In button to finish linking your accounts.
That’s it! you’ve successfully changed your Spotify username to a new display name.
How to change Spotify username on a mobile or tablet device
Here’s how to change your Spotify username by linking your account to Facebook using your smartphone:
- Open the Spotify app on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap the gear icon in the upper-right corner of your screen. This will open your settings.
- On the settings page, scroll down and tap on the Social tab.
- This will open the Social page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and tap Connect to Facebook.
- This will open a pop-up letting you know that Spotify wants to use Facebook to sign in. Tap Continue, Facebook will automatically open in its mobile app or an Internet tab. Enter your Facebook login details to link your accounts.
How to change Spotify username without Facebook
If you don’t want to link your account to Facebook, you can close your current Spotify account and create a new account with a new username. Or try contacting Spotify’s support team. Here’s what to do:
Tip: Contact the Spotify support team before you delete your current account. A representative may be able to guide you best on what to do and possibly help you set up and move to a new account with the same email.
1. Delete your current account
The first step of the process is to permanently close your current Spotify account. Before closing the account, make sure all your playlists are saved, and you cancel your subscription if you have one.
2. Create a new account
While creating a new account, you will be able to create a custom display name that replaces your previous username.
3. Contact Spotify support team
Contact the Spotify support team to help you transfer your playlists, followers, and saved music to a new account. This request should be made within seven days of closing the old one.
About King Osaghae
King Osaghae is the managing editor at TechZerg, meaning that he oversees all the articles TechZerg produces. He’s been writing about tech-related topics and trends since 2018.